IDRT - Integrated Data Repository Toolkit
Space shortcuts
Space Tools
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 5 Next »

Virtual machine setup

In order to use the i2b2 Wizard, you need either a physical computer or a virtual machine, both running Ubuntu Linux 12.04.A virtual machine has many advantages compared to a physical computer, such as storing the current machine state and reverting to it.

In this guide, we use Sun VirtualBox because it is free and works on a variety of operating systems. For other VM software, e.g. VMware, the configuration is very similar.

1. Get yourself a copy of VirtualBox from http://www.virtualbox.org and install it. In this guide version 3.1.6 is used (on a Macintosh).
  2. Get a copy of Ubuntu Linux 14.04.x from http://www.ubuntu.com. To be more specific: you need the file ubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386.iso. The server edition works too, but is more difficult to install. The i2b2 Wizard will probably not work with other Linux editions.
  3. Launch VirtualBox and choose "New". In the new window press "Next". Choose a name for your i2b2 instance, for example "i2b2 Server". Below, choose "Linux" and "Ubuntu". Press "Next".
  4. On the next screen, choose 1024 MB of memory. Press "Next".
  5. Choose "Create new hard disk", "Next". In the new window press "Next", choose "Dynamically expanding storage", "Next". Choose 16 GB (8 GB is not enough), "Next", "Finish" and "Finish". The new virtual machine will be listed in the VirtualBox main window.
  6. On the right side of the window in the "Details" tab you will find the entry "Network" (printed in blue color) with one entry: "Adapter 1: PCnet-FAST III (NAT)".
  7. Click on this blue "Network" entry. In the new window select the tab "Adapter 2", check "Enable Network Adapter" and select "Attached to: Host-only Adapter". Press "OK".
  8. The main window should now list "Adapter 1" and "Adapter 2" below "Network".
  9. Now add the Ubuntu ISO-file. Select the blue "Storage" entry in the VirtualBox main window. On the left side of the new window in the "Storage Tree" select the CD-icon labeled "Empty". On the right side, click on the yellow/green folder icon.
  10. A new window will pop up. Click on "Add" and choose the ubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386.iso which you have previously downloaded.
  11. The entry "IDE Secondary Master (CD/DVD): ubuntu-14.04-desktop-i386.iso" should now be listed in the VirtualBox main window under "Storage".
  • No labels