Developers Getting Started With i2b2
Space shortcuts
Space Tools
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 84 Next »

Overview

The Data Exporter functionality enables an i2b2 user to request patient data for the patients found by a desired query. In the configured workflow, data is requested and generated through new breakdown types that can be selected in the Run Query dialog. Users will see "data request" breakdowns, which send an e-mail to a predefined data manager requesting a type of data. The data manager (Manager user role) processes the request by rerunning the query with a special "data export" breakdown. The patient data is exported as a file and stored in a specified location for retrieval.

The patient data export types, request options, and file specifications are configured in the database using specific request type entries and configuration parameters in the database.

Data Export Workflow

Data Request (User Process)

1. User logs into webclient and creates and runs a query.
  2. In the Run Query dialog box, select one or more Data Request checkboxes
  3. An email is automatically sent to specified manager user to run the user's export request, and the previous query name is tagged with the query master id.

Data Export (Manager Process)

1. The manager logs into the webclient and finds the query from their e-mail by locating the query master id, which is now part of the title of the previous query.

2. Manager user then re-runs the previous query and clicks on export.  In the Run Query dialog, the managers selects the requested export option in the Data export breakdown list.

It is very important to put the original query master id (or some other identifier that links the export to the request) into the query name. The export letter will contain the query name, and this is the only way to trace the export back to the original request. 

3. Data export runs in the background and file is generated in a specified folder 

4. Manger user manually sends a confirmation email to the user on the file generation and retrieval info.

Sample Letter

Results of the i2b2 request entitled - "Demographics_12_48_52", submitted on Apr 18, 2024 1:47:58 PM, are available.

Important notes about your data:
- Total number of patients returned in your data request: 133
- i2b2 reviewer:

Only persons specifically authorized and selected (as listed at the top of this letter) can download these files. If additional user access is needed, please ensure the person is listed on your project IRB protocol and contact the i2b2 team.

Specifically:
- Remove all PHI from computer, laptop, or mobile device after analysis is completed.
- Do NOT share PHI or PII with anyone who is not listed on the IRB protocol.

Your guideline for the storage of Protected Health Information can be found at: https://www.site.com/guidelines_for_protecting_and_storing_phi.pdf

*To download these files*
- You must be logged onto your site

These results are the data that was requested under the authority of the Institutional Review Board.  The query resulting in this identified patient data is included at the end of this letter.  A copy of this letter is kept on file and is available to the IRB in the event of an audit.

Thank you,

The i2b2 Team 

Sample Letter generated for Data Manager

Example Export files (all data are fake)

Demographics

Diagnosis

Data Export Configuration

Design and Architecture

The i2b2 breakdown architecture has been modified to support new breakdown types for data request and export. These display in the run query dialog corresponding to the entries in the QT_RESULT_TYPE table. When a manager user exports user request option, an export file is generated based on the entries in QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH table. Email notification sent to the manager is also based on the entries in the QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH table. The generated file is formatted as per the entries in HIVE_CELL_PARAMS. 

Database changes

Currently QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH .value column has datatype of varchar(2000). In order to support the XML  structure needed for the Data Exporter, the value column has been modified to CLOB datatype. 

Configuring Database Parameters

Request/Export query types: QT_QUERY_RESULT_TYPE

The data request and data export query types are configured as breakdowns in the QT_QUERY_RESULT_TYPE table. VISUAL_ATTRIBUTE_TYPE_ID should be set to LR for Data request and LX for Data export

USER_ROLE_CD should be set to DATA_LDS for Data Request and USER_ROLE_CD should be MANAGER for Data Export.

NAMEDESCRIPTIONDISPLAYTYPE_IDVISUAL_ATTRIBUTE_TYPE_IDUSER_ROLE_CDCLASSNAME
PATIENT_DEMOGRAPHIC_REQUESTRequest Demographics DataCATNUMLRDATA_LDSedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.dao.setfinder.QueryResultPatientRequest
PATIENT_DEMOGRAPHIC_CSVExport Demographics DataCATNUMLXMANAGERedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.dao.setfinder.QueryResultPatientDownload

Data request ability should have  project level  user data path set to DATA_LDS irrespective of Admin path role( admin, user, manager)

Data export ability should have  project level  admin path set to MANAGER  irrespective of data path role(data_lds, data_agg,data_obf, data_deid)

QT_QUERY_RESULT_TYPE.USER_ROLE_CD value applies to the visibility of data request/data export UI option. Make sure that QT_QUERY_RESULT_TYPE.USER_ROLE_CD is set to value of project level role to prevent error on query process.

proect levelqt_query_result_typedata requestdata export

DATA_LDS

DATA_LDS

Successnon-display
MANAGER  

MANAGER

non-displaySuccess
MANAGER with

DATA_LDS

MANAGERerrorSuccess

MANAGER

with DATA_LDS

DATA_LDS

Successerror

Request/Export file definition details: QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH

QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH defines e-mail content (for request and export) and SQL code (for export) in the following XML format:

NameValue
  • <request name>_REQUEST defines the request email generation parameters. 
  • Request email can be configured in PM_USER_DATA parameters to define the email address of the User.
  • User email content configurable in <RequesterEmailMessage>/>xml value parameter
  • Data Manager gets the request email (email address configured in the HIVE_CELL_PARAMS)
  • Data manager email content configurable in the <DataManagerEmailMessage>/xml value parameter

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ValueExporter>
  <Version>[...version number...]</Version>
  <CreationDateTime>08/09/2024 12:00:00</CreationDateTime>
  <RequesterEmailMessage>[...details sent to User on data request...]  </RequesterEmailMessage> <DataManagerEmailMessage>[...details sent to data Manager on user data request...]</DataManagerEmailMessage>
</ValueExporter>

• <request name>_CSV defines the data export email parameters and the SQL to for the export file generation.   
  • The data export email has detailed info on the file location and access info.
  • The exported file is generated in a secure location on the local drive along with the data export email file in a zipped folder
  • Email content and export SQL are configurable in the XML entries for the request/export in the Value parameters.
  •  Multiple SQL statements can be configured in the Value <file></file> tags as one SQL statement per file tag
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ValueExporter>
  <Version>[...version number...]</Version>
  <CreationDateTime><date value></CreationDateTime>
  <DataManagerEmailMessage>details sent to data Manager on data request</DataManagerEmailMessage>
    <LetterFilename><name of the file></LetterFilename>
  <Letter> <letter content></Letter>
  <File>
<Filename>filename</Filename>
<Query>[... SQL query to generate the data export content...]</Query>
      <SeparatorCharacter>[...file format seperator...]</SeparatorCharacter>
  </File>
</ValueExporter>

Example Request types

NAMEVALUE
PATIENT_MEDICATION_CSV<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ValueExporter>
<Version>3.02</Version>
  <RequesterEmailMessage>Your request on {{{PROJECT_ID}}} requested i2b2 request
 entitled - "{{{QUERY_NAME}}}", submitted on {{{QUERY_STARTDATE}}}, with the query master of {{{QUERY_ID}}}</RequesterEmailMessage>
  <DataManagerEmailMessage>This user {{{USER_NAME}}} in project {{{PROJECT_ID}}} requested i2b2 request
 entitled - "{{{QUERY_NAME}}}", submitted on {{{QUERY_STARTDATE}}}, with the query master of {{{QUERY_ID}}}.
  </DataManagerEmailMessage>
  <LetterFilename>/{{{USER_NAME}}}/{{{QUERY_MASTER_ID}}}/Readme.txt</LetterFilename>
  <Letter>
Results of the i2b2 request entitled - "{{{QUERY_NAME}}}", submitted on {{{QUERY_STARTDATE}}}, are available.

Important notes about your data:
- Total number of patients returned in your data request: {{{PATIENT_COUNT}}}
- i2b2 reviewer:

Only persons specifically authorized and selected (as listed at the top of this letter) can download these files. If additional user access is needed, please ensure the person is listed on your project IRB protocol and contact the i2b2 team.

Specifically:
- Remove all PHI from computer, laptop, or mobile device after analysis is completed.
- Do NOT share PHI or PII with anyone who is not listed on the IRB protocol.

Your guideline for the storage of Protected Health Information can be found at: https://www.site.com/guidelines_for_protecting_and_storing_phi.pdf

*To download these files*
- You must be logged onto your site

These results are the data that was requested under the authority of the Institutional Review Board.  The query resulting in this identified patient data is included at the end of this letter.  A copy of this letter is kept on file and is available to the IRB in the event of an audit.

Thank you,

The i2b2 Team
</Letter>
  <File>
<Filename>/{{{USER_NAME}}}/{{{QUERY_MASTER_ID}}}/Medication.csv</Filename>
<Query>SELECT to_char(a.PATIENT_NUM) as "I2B2_PATIENT_NUMBER"
        ,a.start_date as "START_DATE"
        ,a.start_date as "END_DATE"
        ,b.name_char as "MEDICATION_NAME"
        ,b.concept_cd as "NDC_CODE"
        ,a.units_cd as "UNIT"
        ,a.quantity_num as "DOSE_QUANTITY"       
        ,a.modifier_cd as "MODIFIER"
        ,m.name_char as "MODIFIER_NAME"
        ,a.instance_num as "INSTANCE_NUM"
        ,a.location_cd as "FACILITY"
        ,case v.inout_cd  when 'O' then 'Outpatient' when 'I' then 'Inpatient' else 'Unknown' end as "ENCOUNTER_TYPE"
        ,p.name_char as "PROVIDER"
        ,a.encounter_num as "ENCOUNTER_NUMBER"
    FROM observation_fact  a
    INNER  JOIN concept_dimension b on a.concept_cd = b.concept_cd and b.concept_path like '\i2b2\Medications\%'
    JOIN {{{DX}}} c on a.patient_num = c.patient_num
    LEFT OUTER JOIN provider_dimension p on a.provider_id = p.provider_id
    JOIN visit_dimension v on a.encounter_num = v.encounter_num and a.patient_num = v.patient_num
    LEFT OUTER JOIN modifier_dimension m on a.modifier_cd = m.modifier_cd</Query>
      <SeparatorCharacter>\t</SeparatorCharacter>
  </File>

</ValueExporter>
PATIENT_MEDICATION_REQUEST<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ValueExporter>
  <Version>3.02</Version>
  <RequesterEmailMessage>Your request on {{{PROJECT_ID}}} requested i2b2 request entitled - "{{{QUERY_NAME}}}", submitted on {{{QUERY_STARTDATE}}}, with the query master of {{{QUERY_MASTER_ID}}}</RequesterEmailMessage>
  <DataManagerEmailMessage>This user {{{USER_NAME}}} in project {{{PROJECT_ID}}} requested i2b2 request entitled - "{{{QUERY_NAME}}}", submitted on {{{QUERY_STARTDATE}}}, with the query master of {{{QUERY_MASTER_ID}}}.
  </DataManagerEmailMessage>
</ValueExporter>

Export file format/location and Email parameters set-up: HIVE_CELL_PARAMS

Export File format, location and email server parameters are configurable in the HIVE_CELL_PARAMS. 

The <Filename> parameter  in the QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH  definition will override the default value specified in the HIVE_CELL_PARAMS. 

Wildfly must be restarted for changes to the HIVE_CELL_PARAMs to take effect.

Cell IDParameter NameExample ValueNotes
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.datamanageremailuserid@partners.orgEmail address used for sending request/export e-mails
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.smtp.hostsmtp.partners.orgSMTP host
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.smtp.port25SMTP port
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.smtp.ssl.enabledFALSETRUE will enable SSL
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.smtp.authFALSETRUE will enable SMTP authentication
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.smtp.usernamenoneSMTP username (required for SMTP authentication)
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.smtp.passwordnoneSMTP password (required for SMTP authentication)
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.defaultescapecharacter"Escape character for export files
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.maxfetchrows-1Maximum number of rows to export, or -1 for no limit
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.defaultlineend\nLine ending for export files
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.defaultseperator\tField separator for export files
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.resultfetchsize50000??????
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.filename{{{PROJECT_ID}}}/{{{DATE_yyyyMMdd}}}_{{{FULL_NAME}}}.tsvParameterized template for export file names
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.defaultquotechar"Quote character for export files
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.workfolder/tmp/i2b2Folder on the i2b2 server for data exports
CRCedu.harvard.i2b2.crc.exportcsv.zipencryptmethodnone?????????

Export query definition variables

These variables can be used in HIVE_CELL_PARAMS entries and in export query letter definitions: 

Value

Description

{{{USER_NAME}}}

Current user running query

{{{PROJECT_ID}}}

The project name

{{{RESULT_INSTANCE_ID}}}

The result instance ID 

{{{RANDOM_xxx}}}

A random integer where xxx is the max integer size

{{{DATE_xxx}}}

Date/Time format, where xxx can be from the table below.  The string yyyy-MM-dd would output dates that look like 2022-07-26

{{{QUERY_NAME}}}

Query Name

{{{QUERY_STARTDATE}}}

Query Start date/time

{{{QUERY_ENDDATE}}}

Query End date/time

{{{PATIENT_COUNT}}}

Number of patients

{{{FULL_NAME}}}

Fullname of user who ran query

{{{QUERY_MASTER_ID}}}

The query Master ID

{{{QUERY_RUNTIME}}}

Time to run the query

Table of allowable characters in {{{DATE_xxx}}} strings:

ValueDescriptionValueDescription
GeraKhour-of-am-pm (0-11)
uyearkclock-hour-of-am-pm (1-24)
yyear-of-eraHhour-of-day (0-23)
Dday-of-yearmminute-of-hour
M/Lmonth-of-yearssecond-of-minute
dday-of-monthSfraction-of-second
Q/qquarter-of-yearAmilli-of-day
Yweek-based-yearnnano-of-second
wweek-of-week-based-yearNnano-of-day
Wweek-of-monthVtime-zone ID
Eday-of-weekztime-zone name
e/clocalized day-of-weekOlocalized zone-offset
Fweek-of-monthXzone-offset 'Z' for zero
aam-pm-of-dayxzone-offset
hclock-hour-of-am-pm (1-12)Zzone-offset

ppad next

Software Changes:

• Data: New entries in HIVE_CELL_PARAMS, QT_QUERY_RESULT_TYPE, and QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH define the exporter configuration.
  • Java code: New breakdown classes and updates to existing java classes to support the data exporter functionality.

Important Design Notes

Database Configuration

• QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH table configuration for Request/Export file XML definition support is limited to SQL statements only.
  • HIVE_CELL_PARAMS /QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH defaultseperator value parameter overrides the file type parameter set in exportcsv.filename value column parameter 

Example default separator value : '|'

file type value: demograhics.csv

export file generated: demographics.csv with '|' separator

Export File generation

• Currently, the export file generation location is on the local drive hosting the i2b2 application
  • Data export folder is generated with a new Query_master_id generated when the data Manager reruns the data request query. Therefore, currently there is no way to tie the export directory to the  data requester  query_master_id. Two Options that can be used as a workaround to identify the data requester query 
    • Use the data requester query_master_id in the query name when rerunning the data requester query.  This will generate the original data requester id as part of the data export queryname and also will be displayed in the generated data requester letter
    • Run the data requester query as a query- in-query to obtain the same result as option 1.
  • Data requester email is generated as a README file in the data export directory. The data Manager will be required to manually copy the file content into an email and send it to the data request User 
  • The default export file location and format should be set in the HIVE_CELL_PARAMS without the QT_BREAKDOWN_PATH updates , but requires a restart of the wildfly for the changes to take effect.

• No labels