About Upgrading the i2b2
The Upgrade i2b2 space contains the upgrade documentation and precompiled JAR files that can be used by existing i2b2 sites to upgrade their i2b2 server to the latest version of the i2b2 software. This space is organized as follows:
- Upgrade to Release 1.7.11 from 1.7.09c contains the documentation and precompiled JAR files to upgrade the i2b2 server to the current released version of the software.
- Older Upgrades contains the upgrade information for previous releases.
As new versions of the i2b2 server are released, the upgrade documentation and the appropriate JAR files will be added to the appropriate pages within this space.
Upgrading the i2b2 Server
The release of i2b2 1.7.08 introduced a major platform change in which the JBoss 7 application server was replaced with WildFly 10 (formerly known as “JBoss” 10), and JDK 8 became required.
With consideration that you may be using custom ports, proxies, HTTPS, and other custom configurations that must be re-setup in WildFly from scratch and/or may be incompatible with WildFly, we have introduced a new upgrade path for using your existing JBoss 7 with i2b2 by providing drop-in JARs.
A zip file containing a precompiled version of latest i2b2 release has been provided in the Download section of Upgrade to Release 1.7.11 from 1.7.09c document. The contents of the zip file can be dropped into your existing instance of i2b2 to upgrade it. The JARs were compiled with JDK 7 and will run in your existing JBoss 7 or WildFly application server. The upgrade technique will work on both Linux and Windows environments.
The following requirements must be met in order to use this upgrade path:
- JBoss 7 (tested on JBoss-as-7.1.1.Final) and JRE 7 or Wildfly10 and JRE 8 are running on your application server
- Currently running i2b2 version 1.7.05 or higher
- Existing i2b2 was installed from source or you are using the i2b2 VMWare virtual machine with release 1.7.05 or higher installed
- In April 2016, we provided instructions to patch a potential security vulnerability in JBoss 7, specifically in the commons-collections-3.2.1.jar shipped with JBoss 7.
- These upgrade instructions are for upgrading only the i2b2 server software. It does not include any changes that may have been made to the i2b2 database or Web Client software. If the current release includes changes to other software components a note will be included at the end of the instructions letting you know you need to download additional files from i2b2.org/software. Changes to the i2b2 database or Web Client are to follow the standard installation / upgrade process. The JAR files are only for the i2b2 server.
Depending on the version of i2b2 software you are upgrading from you may need to review notes from previous versions to see what components have been upgraded. This is necessary because an earlier release may have had a component like the i2b2 Web Client updated that is not getting updated in the current release. If you only look at the current release you may miss that you also need to install the Web Client from a previous release.