IDRT - Integrated Data Repository Toolkit
Space shortcuts
Space Tools

Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

i2b2 queries often contain multiple attributes which are combined with AND clauses (e.g. "diagnosis = diabetes AND age <= 18 years"). The i2b2 CRC cell (Clinical Research Chart) queries these attributes consecutively from the OBSERVATION_FACT table, using the result sets of each query as a base for the next query. Thus the amount of patients or encounters that need needs to be evaluated decrease over each step of the query plan. In order to narrow down the search space quickly, it would be ideal to first query for attributes occurring rarely in the overall dataset. While this optimization is supported by i2b2, the platform needs to know about the frequency of each concept in the overall dataset to make use of it.

The ontology table "I2B2" contains the column "C_TOTALNUM" for this purpose. It provides the count of distinct patients for each concept in the overall dataset. The CRC cell utilizes this column to sort the order of query steps in the overall query plan in order to first query for attributes with low occurenceoccurrence. However, the C_TOTALNUM column is not routinely filled during loading of the OBSERVATION_FACT table, which leads to this optimization not being applied in many cases.

The following SQL Script can be exected executed at the end of an ETL (extraction, transformation, loading) pathway to calculate all value for the C_TOTALNUM column automatically. The script was developed on an Oracle 11g platform but should be easily portable to other relational databases.

Whether the database actually uses indexes or not is decided by the query optimizer at runtime, depending on table statistics and cached performance data from previous queries, and explicit "optimizer hints" that can be inluded inludced in SQL queries, among others. The query strategy actually chosen can be examined at runtime (e.g. with the Oracle EXPLAIN PLAN statement) or by inspecting query logs.

In i2b2, the OBSERVATION_FACT table and its related indexes are obvious candidates for partitioning. As mentioned in the previous section, the volume of data types can be very heterogeneous, and partitioning can be leveraged e.g. to skip large volumes of laboratory findings for queries that do not adress address them. The CONCEPT_CD column can be used as a partitioning key: it is usually prefixed with a schema code that relates to the type of data referenced (e.g. ICD for diagnoses, LAB for lab values). Due to the high volume of distinct concept codes, however, list-based partitioning cannot be applied, but rather range-based partitioning that include all concepts within a schema key or group of schema keys. The definition of the partitions and key ranges needs to be adapted to each local i2b2 installation, as it reflects the schema keys and data volumes locally used.