'Query Tool' is the main panel in which users construct, refine, and submit i2b2 queries.
- Panel Options allows users to (1) view the XML exchange between the client and the i2b2 server (if enabled) , (2) set options for the panel, and (3) resize the panel.
- Query Name Display shows the name of the current query. Users can also drop a previous query here to load it.
- Query Timing Selector enables users to select the appropriate timings for their query, including temporal queries.
- Query Groups are areas where users can drag and drop i2b2 items to build their queries.
- Tool Bar enables users to run, clear their queries, and also enable them to navigate the Groups if there are more than three.
3.2 Building a New Query
Initially the Query Tool shows three Groups to the users, but only one (the first one) is active. Users are to add criteria via drag-and-drop to the Groups to construct their queries. A number of potential i2b2 objects can be added to the Groups. They include ontology terms, previous queries, results of previous queries, and items from the Workplace.
i. Adding i2b2 Objects into Groups
1) Ontology Terms
The Navigate/Find Terms panel contains all available ontologies. Users can browse or use its search functionalities to find a certain terms. After identifying the terms users wish to query for, they can drag and drop them into the Groups.
2) Previous Query
The Previous Queries panel lists all previously submitted queries. Users may drag and drop a previous query into a Group. When a new query contains a previous query is executed, i2b2 will run the previous query first. The previous query's results are then used in conjunction with the other terms in the new query to obtain the final results. In this sense, a previous query in a query can be thought of as a sub-query.
3) Query Result (Patient Set/ Patient)
For each previous query in the Previous Queries panel, its results such as individual patients or patient sets can also be dropped into the Groups.
4) Including a Folder in Workplace
Workplace is a place where users can put any i2b2 objects such as ontology terms, previous queries, patient sets, etc. they wish to save for later. Users can then drag these saved objects into the query Groups. In addition,
ii. AND/OR Operators
Order of Precedents
iii. How to use a lab test (terms with values)
iv. Run Query and Clear buttons
3.4 Resetting the Query Tool (Clear)
3.5 What Happens when a query gets queued?
3.6 Rerun a Previous Query
3.7 Advanced Query Options
1) Patient Set
2) Encounter Set
3) Number of Patients
4) Gender Patient Breakdown
5) Vital Status Patient Breakdown
6) Race Patient Breakdown
7) Age Patient Breakdown
9) Length of Stay Breakdown
10) Top 20 Medications Breakdown
12) Top 20 diagnoses Breakdown
13) Inpatient and Outpatient Breakdown
ii. Managing Groups
1) Additional Groups
2) Shifting Group Order
3) Delete Groups
iii. Specifying Constraints
1) Date Constraints (Panel-level and Term-level)
2) Negation (Exclude)
iv. Value Constraints
(e.g. "Find patients who have a systolic blood pressure reading greater than 130 mm Hg")