• Formatting was changed.
Comment: Migration of unmigrated content due to installation of a new plugin

html-text
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
    <title>Upgrade i2b2 Software</title>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <meta name="description" content="Upgrading the i2b2 Software to the latest version" />
    <meta name="keywords" content="i2b2, release, upgrade, 1.7.1212a" />
<!--    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="/stylesheets/i2b2-wiki.css" /> -->
</head>
<body>
    <h1 class="releaseHeading" id="upgradeVersion-current">Upgrade to Release 1.7.12 from 1.7.09c</h1>
</body>
</html>

Anchor
i2b2-upgrade-v1712-info
i2b2-upgrade-v1712-info

Version Information

Current Version:1.7.1212a
Release Date:NovemberMay, 20192020
License:Mozilla 2 Open Source License

Anchor
i2b2-upgrade-v1712-download
i2b2-upgrade-v1712-download

Download

Descriptioni2b2 Released VersionMinimum Version RequiredDownload LinkRequirements
Files to upgrade the i2b2 server to 1.7.1212a1.7.1212a1.7.09cSee Technical Details section on the i2b2 Upgrades page.

Anchor
i2b2-upgrade-v1712-note
i2b2-upgrade-v1712-note

Notes

Release 1.7.12 contains changes to the i2b2 core Server, database and Web Client.

• If you are upgrading to 1.7.12 from a release prior to 1.7.09c it is important you read the upgrade documentation before upgrading your system because earlier upgrades had changes to properties files. When a release has a change to a property file as did 1.7.09 we will make note of it and outline the steps to merge the changes into your local properties file.
  • Anchori2b2-upgrade-v1710-howToi2b2-upgrade-v1710-howTo
    • The upgrade process is now made easier using  a pre-built war file and the  properties files are now stored in the database.
    • The prebuilt-war file has  all the  core, web and database files  packaged together and available as single download zip file.    

Note: If you are running your application on JBoss, please upgrade to Wildfly before proceeding with the upgrade.

Upgrade Instructions

Excerpt Include
    Upgrade i2b2
    Upgrade i2b2
    nopaneltrue

Knowing some sites have remained on JBoss 7 while some have upgraded to WildFly 10, we have gone ahead and provided Below are Step-by-Step Instructions for both scenarios. For the most part the overall process is very similar. What is different, is the path in which the files reside. Expand the box below to see an example of the differences between the two path namesafter you have  upgraded to Wildfly.

UI Expand
    titleExample Paths to i2b2.war

Code Block
    languagepowershell
    titleWildFly 10 path
    /opt/wildfly-10.0.0.Final/standalone/deployments/i2b2.war/

Anchor
    i2b2-upgrade-v1710-stepByStep-WildFly
    i2b2-upgrade-v1710-stepByStep-WildFly

Step-by-Step Instructions for WildFly

In the following instructions the variable { version } refers to your version of Wildfly installed.  We have tested with Wildfly 10, 14, and 17.

UI Steps
    sizesmall

UI Step

Stop WildFly

Code Block
    languagepowershell
    titleLinux Example
    collapsetrue
    $ /opt/wildfly-{version}.Final/bin/jboss-cli.sh --connect command=:shutdown

UI Step

Backup your existing i2b2.war directory

UI Expand
    titleLinux

On Linux, make a copy of move the /opt/wildfly-{version}.Final/standalone/deployments/i2b2.war/ and save it to a different location outside of /opt/wildfly-{version}.Final/ 

UI Expand
    titleWindows

On Windows, make a copy of move the c:\opt\wildfly-{version}.Final\standalone\deployments\ i2b2.war\ and save it to a different location outside of c:\opt\wildfly-{version}.Final

Delete i2b2.war.deployed file

UI Step
    Code Block
    languagepowershell
    titleLinux Example
    collapsetrue
    $ rm /opt/wildfly-{version}.Final/standalone/deployments/i2b2.war.deployed
    Warning

Starting in 1.7.12 i2b2 will be using a .war file instead of the folder that contains the extension .war.   In future version the upgrade will be replacing the existing .war file with a new war file.

UI Step

Extract the download file i2b2core-war-1712.zip to a folder outside of wildfly folder.

$ cp deployments/i2b2.war /

Extract the download file i2b2core-war-1712a.zip to a folder outside of wildfly folder.

UI Step

Copy the i2b2.war into your existing WildFly deployment directory.

Code Block
    languagepowershell
    titleLinux Example
    collapsetrue

UI Step

Copy all the files from the download war file deployment into your existing WildFly standalone directory.

UI Step

Upgrade Database

Run the following upgrade scripts on your i2b2 database instance, where {db} can be Oracle, sqlserver or postgresql

In data folder

1.7.09c

PmData/scripts/upgrade_{db}_i2b2pm_tables.sql

Crcdata/scripts/crc_create_query_{db}.sql

Hivedata/scripts/upgrade_{db}_i2b2hive_tables.sql

Metadata/scripts/ont_{db}.sql

Run the ant scripts for Metadata and Crcdata for releases 1.7.09C to 1.7.12.

If you are upgrading from 1.7.12 to 1.7.12a, run the  ant script for  Crcdata. 

UI Step

Update the datasource (*-ds.xml) files in your  deployment directory

Copy *-ds.xml files from the backup folder to wildfly-1#.0.1.Final/standalone/deployments

Edit the following files crc-ds.xml, ont-ds.xml, pm-ds.xml, work-ds.xml
    and replace ALL the <driver>{something}.jar</driver> with

Oracle

SQL Server

PostgreSQL

<driver>ojdbc8.jar</driver>

<driver>mssql-jdbc-7.4.1.jre8.jar</driver>

<driver>postgresql42.2.8.jar</driver>

UI Step

Migrate cell properties to 1.7.12, if needed. In 1.7.12, cell properties have been moved to the database, in a table called hive_cell_params. If any cell properties were previously changed, they will need to be manually updated in the database. After this, the properties files can be deleted to prevent confusion.

More documentation on setting cell properties is available at this page. Most commonly, the AGG_SERVICE_ACCOUNT password will need to be updated. Generally, the cell URLs do not need to be configured anymore, as the hostname and port is now auto-detected.

UI Expand
    titleExample

Properties files are stored at /opt/wildfly-{version}.Final/standalone/

deployments

configuration/ on Linux and c:\opt\wildfly-{version}.Final\standalone\configuration\ on Windows. The table can be edited with a SQL editor in hive_cell_params.

UI Step

Backup your existing i2b2_config_data.js from your web server

On your webclient backup your existing i2b2_config_data.js to a folder outside of your web server.

UI Expand
    titleLinux Example

On Linux, move the folder /var/www/html/webclient/ and save it to a different location outside of /var/wwww/html/webclient

UI Expand
    titleWindows

On Windows, move the folder c:\inetpub\webclient and save it to a different location outside of c:\inetpub\webclient

UI Step

Install the new webclient on your web server

UI Expand
    titleLinux

On Linux, extract the i2b2webclient-17121712a.zip to the folder /var/www/html/webclient/ and copy the backup i2b2_config_data.js  to /var/wwww/html/webclient

UI Expand
    titleWindows

On Windows, extract the i2b2webclient-17121712a.zip c:\inetpub\webclient and copy the backup i2b2_config_data.js  to c:\inetpub\webclient

Run the database upgrade scripts based on the database vendor you are using.   Run the .sql scripts on your database using preferred client.  Within each file contains all the upgrade scripts from 1.7.09c to 1.7.12, run the required scripts for the version you are currently on.

Run the scripts to re created your stored procedures for the CRC Cell.   Modify the db.properties file to reflect your database information.   Than run the following

ant -f crcdata/data_build.xml create_procedures_release_1-7

Run the scripts to created your stored procedures for the Ontology Cell total number   Modify the db.properties file to reflect your database information.   Than run the following

ant -f metadata/data_build.xml create_procedures_release_1-7

UI Step
    UI Step

Start WildFly

Code Block
    languagepowershell
    titleLinux Example
    collapsetrue
    $ /opt/wildfly-{version}.Final/bin/standalone.sh -b 0.0.0.0 &

UI Step

Verify your upgrade

UI Expand
    titleTest Web Client

Navigate to your local i2b2 Web Client in your preferred browser and verify you are able to log on and perform standard i2b2 functions. (e.g. Run queries, retrieve previous queries, view breakdowns, etc.)

Anchor
    i2b2-upgrade-zip-contents
    i2b2-upgrade-zip-contents

Contents of the Zip File

UI Expand
    titlei2b2upgrade-1709c-to-1712.zip

database/

Crcdata/

scripts/

oracle/

query_demo_insert_data.sql

postgresql/