• Web Client
    • None
    • webclient 1.7.12a hosted on CentOS 7
      browsers are Firefox and Chrome on macOS 10.15
    • Find Terms
    • Find by Name

Description

Hello, i2b2 Engineers,

We have taken the liberty of incorporating "warning notices", or caveats, or simply information in the Ontology panel (Terms panel) of our i2b2 webclient. The way we did this is by incorporating these text-based caveats into our ontology tree (metadata table) and in most cases utilizing HTML in the "concept name" to format the text to our liking (colored, bold, italicized, etc.).

We did not want to have to customize the webclient software in order to effect these caveats for the user, so we opted to put them into the Ontology panel instead.

This works fine in the main Terms panel, but in Find Terms, we are encountering an issue. When we have our caveat at the top level of the hierarchy (level-0 concept), it automatically shows up in the "Categories" dropdown of the "Search by Names" tab. (I've worked around this by putting a filter in js-i2b2/cells/ONT/ONT_view_Find.js.)

Also, in the Term Info panel, we have a problem, since if someone chooses to view the "Info" for one of our caveat leaves, the HTML that we use for the leaf causes a rendering problem for the concept name, description, etc., in the Term Info panel.

So, I have 2 requests:
      1) If you like the way that we are using caveats in the ontology tree (see attached image) to impart important information to the i2b2 user, then please help us out by updating the Search by Names categories and the Term Info panel to handle our special "caveat" ontology leaves.
      2) I'm not anywhere close to being an i2b2 expert, so If you can suggest a better way for us to communicate important caveats about the ontology to our users, please let us know. Again, we would prefer not to have to hard-code changes to the webclient software.

Feel free to reach out to me anytime. Thank you very much for your consideration! And keep up the great work!

Kind regards,

Mark Abajian, Keck Medicine of USC
      (818) 726-0372 mobile

Attachments

Activity

People

Unassigned Unassigned
            markabajian Mark Abajian
            Votes:
            0 Vote for this issue
            Watchers:
            1 Start watching this issue