This is the home of the Related Project - Familial, Associational, & Incidental Relationships (FAIR) Initiative space.

Navigate space

About the FAIR Initiative

The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) has undertaken a new FAIR (Familial, Associational, & Incidental Relationships) Initiative to correlate patients with other patients through certain defined relationships. The "FAIR-correlated" patients are made available through a set of i2b2 webclient plugins engineered to enable researchers to utilize such relationship information in their studies. Additionally, the open schema developed to encapsulate these "FAIR information", the simple FAIR Tabulation File defined, as well as a set of tools crafted to automatically generate the FAIR XML and to facilitate updating the i2b2 database, along with the aforementioned i2b2 webclient plugins, are also available, to all other academic institutions that are part of the i2b2 community, from our website.

Schematic of the FAIR Tools (click to enlarge).

UMMS presented these FAIR Tools in a poster at the CTSA (Clinical & Translational Science Awards) 2012 Annual Informatics Meeting, November 7, 2012.

Downloads

These FAIR Tools (web client plugins and DBA Toolset), along with the corresponding documentations, can be downloaded from the MICARD (Massachusetts Integrated Clinical and Academic Research Database) Download page of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

(Please note that our download page is currently being updated and tested to include these latest downloads.  We shall be sending out emails notifying the i2b2 AUG community as soon as the update and test is complete -- thank you for your patience!)

About Us

These plugins and DBA Tools are developed & released by the University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester (S. Wayne Chan, Tom English, Rajani Sadasivam, Thomas Houston, & the rest of the BMI-Core), to be shared with the rest of the i2b2 community that may also find them useful in their institutions.

Please don't hesitate to contact us concerning any questions or problems. Thanks.