Release Notes for i2b2 Version 1.5

These release notes address issues found and information about the i2b2 version 1.5. Unless otherwise specified, these notes apply to the following operating systems:

Additional Information

Included in this document are the following sections:

Section

Includes

Installation

Information related to installing the release.

Third Party Software

Software that is utilized by i2b2 but is owned, maintained and licensed by other companies is referred to as "Third Party Software". Any version changes made or needed to be made to the users system will be noted in this section.

New Features

A list of new enhancements will be included in this section. A brief description and a reference to the specification will be provided.

Updates

Any changes that are not considered an enhancement will be included in this section. This may be a fix for a problem found or it may be a change to existing code but not related to a problem.

Licensing

i2b2 licensing information

Trademarks

Trademark information

Installation

This release note applies to you if you are upgrading to 1.5 from a computer running an earlier version of the i2b2 workbench. This release contains server changes so it is important to update both the client and the server.

If you are installing 1.5 from a computer running the i2b2 workbench, ensure that the workbench and all eclipse applications are closed prior to installing this release.

WHERE DO I START?

Prior to setting up the i2b2 server, workbench or VM Image it is highly recommended that you read one of the following documents located in the documentation folder.

1. Hive_Installation_Guide_1-5.pdf

Use for new installation

2. Hive_Upgrade_Guide_1-5.pdf

Use for upgrading existing environment to 1.5

3. i2b2Workbench_Install_Guide_1-5.pdf

Use for installing the i2b2 Workbench (Client)

4. VMWare_Install_Guide_1-5.pdf

Use for installing the VM Image

All of these documents will explain what needs to be done during the setup and in what order.

Third Party Software

The only change to third party software is the JRE was upgraded to 1.6.

New Features

i2b2 release 1.5 contains new features that have been outlined below.

Annotator Plug-in

A new Annotator plug-in has been created that will allow users to review and annotate a sample of documents that will be used to auto-classify the remaining documents in their database.
Detailed information regarding the workflow of the Annotator can be found in the Annotator documentation included in this release.

NOTE: The annotator plug-in will only work with JRE 1.6

Edit Terms View

The new Edit Terms view will enable users to add containers, folders and terms to a custom metadata table. These custom terms can be used in the Annotator view as well as other i2b2 views.
Detailed information regarding the new Edit Terms view can be found in the Ontology documentation included in this release.

Project Request Plug-in

A new Project Request plug-in has been created to assist users in the management of data. The design allows a project to be created by requesting that blocks of data be copied out of a larger original database to a smaller one. For instance, the data about a set of patients can be created from the i2b2 enterprise database and placed into an i2b2 project database with the same data format and with the same data descriptors while preserving powerful methods for querying the data.
Detailed information regarding the functionality of the Project Request plug-in can be found in the Project Request Install Guide (ProjectRequest_Install_Guide_1-5.pdf) included in this release.

Management of Project Approvals

Two new pages have been added to the Administration ("Admin") module. These new pages support the new project request plug-in and are designed to assist users with the process of managing project requests (i.e. IRB approvals).
Manage Approvals – the page to add new approvals.
Project Requests – the page to view an approved project request.

Import Data Plug-in

The import data plug-in has been updated and packaged as a feature that can be easily added from within the i2b2 workbench. This plug-in allows users with the appropriate access to import data into tables within the i2b2 database. On-line help is included with the plug-in that will guide users through the import process.

i2b2 Administration Module

Access is restricted to only those users who are setup with the "Admin" role, available as a separate interface.

Query by Provider Dimension

The ability to query by provider dimension was added to i2b2 release 1.5. To support this new feature the demo database was updated to include providers.

Updates

Demo Data

The demo data has been updated to include a sampling of patient radiology reports. Each of these reports has a provider associated to support the ability to search by provider. 

NOTE: The Radiology reports in the demo data are encrypted. When prompted for an encryption key you need to enter the following key: i2b2demodatakey1

Documentation:

The 1.5 release documentation can be found in a zip file located on the i2b2 software page. This file includes documentation for the following:

Licensing

The i2b2 source code is licensed under the i2b2 Software License 2.1. This includes but is not limited to all code in the edu.harvard.i2b2.* package namespace.

Trademarks

Microsoft, Windows, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.

Mac OS is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc.
Eclipse Galileo is a registered trademark of the Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.