Integrating Informatics for Biology and the Bedside
Release Notes for i2b2 Version_.3.0009 Release Candidate_
These release notes address issues found and information about thei2b2 version_.3.0009 release
candidate_ (1.3.0003-RC2). Unless otherwise specified, these notes apply to the following operating
systems:
?
Apple Macintosh OS x_.4}
?
Microsoft Windows
?
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
?
Microsoft Windows Server_
Additional Information
Included in this document are the following sections:
Section
Includes
Installation
Information related to installing the release candidate.
Third Party Software
Software that is utilized by i2b2 but is owned, maintained and licensed by other
companies is referred to as ?Third Party Software?. Any version changes made
or needed to be made to the users system will be noted in this section.
New Features
A list of new enhancements will be included in this section. A brief description
and a reference to the specification will be provided.
Updates
Any changes that are not considered an enhancement will be included in this
section. This may be a fix for a problem found or it may be a change to existing
code but not related to a problem.
Licensing
i2b2 licensing information
Copyright
Legal information regarding copyright laws
Trademarks
Trademark information

Installation
This release note applies to you if you are upgrading to 1.3.0009-RC2 from a computer running an earlier
version of the i2b2 workbench. This release candidate does contain server changes so it is important to
update both the client and the server.
If you are installing 1.3.0009-RC2 from a computer running the i2b2 workbench, ensure that the
workbench and all eclipse applications are closed prior to installing this release candidate.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING CHANGE TO HIVE
The i2b2 Hive is segmented by domain and by project. A separate i2b2 Hive is defined by its Project
Management cell, the cell which controls user authentication and serves to store the references to all
cells considered to be part of that particular Hive.
Each i2b2 Hive is labeled with a ?domain? name. When one logs into the Hive, the domain is part of the
login information. Other login information is the user name and password. The user name and
password are only tested to be valid within this domain, and the user name and password are kept in
the domain?s Project Management cell.
Each domain may house several projects. Each user may be part of several projects, or just one project.
If a user is part of two projects, they should not expect work that they do in one project to appear in a
second project. The work is kept separated. Each project may have its own ontology and data
repository. A user may switch between databases containing the ontology/data repository for that
project by switching projects. In the i2b2 workbench, only one project can be viewed at a time. This is
to keep the previous queries and workspace objects consistent with the ontology and data repository of
the project.
Third Party Software
Eclipse was upgraded to Eclipse Europa version_.3.2, which means the eclipse plug -ins as well as the
i2b2 plug-ins has been upgraded to the newer version.
Information about Eclipse Europa version.3.2 can be found on the eclipse website (www. eclipse.o rg)_

New Features
Release candidate_.3.000 9 contains the following new features.
Workplace Management Cell.0_
Workplace Management is a new cell in the core hive. As part of this enhancement a new view in the
i2b2 workbench is available to users. Information in this view is related to the most common concepts
and queries that an individual uses and in essence becomes their personal workspace.
Detailed information regarding the functionality of the workplace can be found in one of the following
three documents included in this release:
Workplace Architecture_1-0.pdf
Workplace Installation Guide_1-0.pdf
Workplace Messaging_1-1.pdf
Provided below is an outline of some of the key features of workplace management cell_.0.
?
Add the workplace view to the i2b2 workbench.
?
Create folders to organize terms, queries, templates, etc that have been saved by the user.
?
Create a shared folder to share terms, queries, templates, etc with other project team
members. What is shared with others is determined by the individual users. Keep in mind once
it is shared it will be available to anyone who has access to the project.
?
Copy different items/elements to and from the workplace by dragging and dropping them
between the different views within i2b2. See the basic charts below on what can be copied to
and from the workplace. For more detailed information please see the workplace
documentation included in this release.
TO Workplace
Item/element
i2b2 Views
Concept
Navigate Terms, Find Terms, Query Tool
Query
Previous Query, Query Tool
Panel
Query Tool
Patient Set
Previous Query
FROM Workplace
Item/element
i2b2 Views
Concept
Query Tool
Previous Query
Query Tool, Timeline
Template
Query Tool, Timeline
Patient Set
Timeline

?
Managers will have access to view the workplace for each member of their team.
Updates
FIX: Problem with upgrade scripts
Tracking Number:
Category:
CRC
Applies To:
Windows and Mac OS
Description:
Problem upgrading the CRC using the scripts provided in the source code.
There seems to be an error in the script. The first three commands
reference the following tables: visit_dim_lookup, patient_dim_lookup, and
FACT_LOOKUP. These tables were not included in a previous release and
should not be referenced.
Resolution:
Fixed the upgrade script to populate ?code_lookup? and ?crc_db_lookup?
table. CRC install documentation has been updated with how to do this.
Fix in Release:
Licensing
The i2b2 source code is licensed under the i2b2 Software License_.0. This includes but is not limited t o
all code in the edu.harvard.i2b2.* package namespace.
Copyright
Information in this document, including URL and other Internet Web site reference, is subject to change
without notice and is provided for informational purposes only.
Harvard Medical School and Partners HealthCare Systems makes no representation about the suitability
or accuracy of this software or data for any purpose, and make no warranties, either express or implied,
including merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose or thatthe use of this software or data will
not infringe any third part patents, copyrights, trademarks, or other rights. The software and data are
provided ?as is?. Any reagents supplied will be as listed.
These software and data are provided to enhance knowledge and encourage progress in the scientific
community and are to be used only for research and educational purposes. Any reproduction or use for

commercial purpose is prohibited without the prior express written permission of Partners HealthCare
Systems or Harvard Medical School.
Complying with all applicable copyright laws is the responsibility of the user.
Trademarks
Microsoft, Windows, Windows XP, and Windows Server are either registered trademarks or trademarks
of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.
Mac OS is a registered trademark of Apple, Inc.
Eclipse Europa is a registered trademark of the Eclipse Foundation, Inc.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.