IDRT - Integrated Data Repository Toolkit
Space shortcuts
Space Tools
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 5 Next »

The i2b2 star schema in its initial setup defined a one fact per concept per patient approach to a medicial data warehouse design. The central i2b2 table obsercation_facts is a enhanced EAV (entity- attribute- value) structure with  additional entity identifiers (patient, visit, provider). The visit dimension defines a (financial) encounter. This allows for the enhancement of the one-to-one relation (concept to fact) to a one-to-many relation by defining N financial encounters per patient. But source data often does not contain financial encounters and/or a fact bundling of much finer entities is needed.

With the addition of modifiers in i2b2 version 1.6 (see: Data Model of Modifiers in i2b2) a more useful functionality for a undefined (meaning: not just financial encounter related) one-to-many relationship was introduced. Modifiers offer  a way of bundling concepts in in the i2b2 hierarchie and give these concepts a unique (for that patient and encounter) subidentifier in the observation_fact to connect facts of one patient. 

TODO CB: more

• No labels