Developers Getting Started With i2b2
Space shortcuts
Space Tools
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Java Requirements

The i2b2 was developed using the Java platform and is needed to develop and deploy the i2b2 cells on the server. The i2b2 server requires the Java Development Kit (JDK) to be installed before you can deploy any i2b2 core cells.

Required Version: Java 8.0

Download from Website: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Operating System

File Name

Linux x86

jdk-8u201-linux-i586.rpm OR jdk-8u201-linux-i586.tar.gz  

Linux x64

jdk-8u201-linux-x64.rpm OR jdk-8u201-linux-x64.tar.gz

Windows x86

jdk-8u201-windows-i586.exe

Windows x64

jdk-8u201-windows-x64.exe

Java JDK Installation Steps

1. Go to the Java Website (see link shown above) and download the Java JDK file that is appropriate for your environment.
2. Locate the file you just downloaded.
3. The Java JDK file for Windows is an executable file. Click on the file name to launch the Windows Installer
4. The installer will guide you through the installation process.
5. By default the windows installer will install Java JDK to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.8.0_121. You can change this during the installation to a location of your choice.

Tip

You will want to make note of the location as it will be needed further along in the i2b2 installation. In the installation document whenever you see YOUR_JAVA_HOME_DIR it will need to be replaced with the location of your Java JDK.

For your convenience an installation Worksheet has been provided at the end of this document to track the setup locations.

Set Java Home Variable

After installing Java JDK you need to set the JAVA_HOME environment variable to point to the JDK installation directory. Steps on how to set this variable have been defined in the section called Setting System Variables which is located within this chapter.

Important

The install programs for JBoss, Apache Ant and Apache Axis2 require the JAVA_HOME variable be defined therefore you need to set it before continuing on to the other installations.