i2b2 Web Client
Space shortcuts
Space Tools

Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

The Query Tool is the main component through which users construct, refine, and submit i2b2 queries. Query construction is primarily based on drag-and-drop and selecting the appropriate options. This page details the various 'Query Tool' operations and options and how to use 'Query Tool' in conjunction with other components. The Table of Content offers links to quickly jump to relevant topics. In addition, a quick start video show the query process and to demonstrate the basic query-building features.

Example Box
show-iconfalse

Expand
titleTable of ContentContents

Table of Contents
maxLevel4
stylenone

3.1 Quick Start Video

The Query Tool

is the main panel through which users construct, refine, and submit i2b2 queries.

Multimedia
nameQuickStartVideoTake2.mp4
width800
page1. Quick Start
height500

3.1 Layout

3.2 What is a Query?

An i2b2 query is a request that contains users' search criteria for patients stored in an i2b2 database. A query can be sent to an i2b2 server, where it is evaluated and the results are returned to the users after some time. A query typically contains one or more ontology terms users are interested in. For example, users may select ontology terms to query for patients with certain medications, diagnoses, and demographic information. Users can apply constraints to the terms to be more specific about the criteria. When a query is submitted, it will will take some time for i2b2 to process. Query Status will keep track of how long the query takes to run, and show the results when the query completes. When a query completes, the query itself along with all its results are stored in Previous Queries. Some results such as patient sets can also be used in a new query.

1) Ontology Terms

The Navigate/Find Terms component panel contains all available ontologies. Users can browse or use its search functionalities to find a certain terms. After identifying the terms users wish to query for, they can drag and drop them into the Groups.

2) Previous Query

The Previous Queries component panel lists all previously submitted queries. Users may drag and drop a previous query into a Group. When a new query contains a previous query is executed, i2b2 will run the previous query first. The previous query's results are then used in conjunction with the other terms in the new query to obtain the final results. In this sense, a previous query in a query can be thought of as a sub-query.

For each previous query in the Previous Queries component panel, its results such as individual patients or patient sets can also be dropped into the Groups.