About the WISE-annotator Web Client Plugin
This plugin is part of the WISE (Workplace Items Sharing Enhancement) Tool Set developed as a result of feedback and suggestions from the i2b2 users community in the University of Massachusetts Medical School. As its name implies, the purpose of this tool set is to facilitate and enhance the sharing of the items or objects in the Workplace panel of the i2b2 web client; to the extend that unnecessary repetitions of previous works can be prevented or minimized.
This plugin provides the following main functions:
- Facilitates annotating a Workplace item (object) with#* distinct short paragraphs, for better descriptions;#* keywords (tags), to facilitate searches; and#* author.
- Dynamically keeps count of the length of the annotation as it is being updated, and warns the user when it reaches the length limit.
- Displays the saved annotation for review.
- Navigate to the "Specify Object" tab. Drag the desired item (object), from the Workplace panel, and drop it into the drop-in box.
- Click the "Annotate" tab, and wait for the existing annotation to be fetched and displayed:## Any existing annotation text paragraphs will be displayed in corresponding, dintinct, beige text area, along with 2 extra blank, white text areas for any new paragraphs to be added.## Existing keywords (tags) will be displayed in the next-to-last text area (beige if there is existing entry, white if blank).## Existing authors will be displayed in the last text area (beige if there is existing entry, white if blank).## In addition to the length for each text area, the overall length of the annotaation is also displayed at the top and bottom.## Make any updates to any appropriate text area, and its corresponding length count, along with the overall annotation length counts, will be immediately updated for instant feedback.## Any updated text area will turn light pink to indicate changes.
- A dialog will be displayed when the annotation length limit is reached, and no more new characters can be added. The text area where the offense occurred will be changed to bright red for additional feedback.
- Once appropriate characters are deleted to bring the annotation within limit, normal character addition may proceed, so long as it is under the length limit.
- Finally, click the "Review Result" tab to view the resulting saved annotation.
This plugin does not support the following Workplace items:
- Patient Count: The i2b2 web client object drop in framework tends to strip away any descriptive terms and only retains the not-so-descriptive portion (e.g. "PATIENT_COUNT_15"), making it very difficiult to find the original object and fetch its annotation for update. Besides, it is not expected to be of much use or widely shared by the user community any way.
- The root (top most) items (e.g. "SHARED"), which cannot be annotated as part of the i2b2 Workplace framework constraint.
- This plugin works on the following browsers: Firefox (v.4.0.1), Chrome (v.12 - v.17), Safari (v.5.0.5), & Internet Explorer (v.8 & v.9).
- The i2b2 Web client itself does not work on the following browser: Opera (v.11.50 or v11.61).
Added support for Internet Explorer
This plugin is free to the rest of the i2b2 community. It can be downloaded from the University of Massachusetts Medical School website for i2b2 related downloads, as well as the Google Code project download page set up for it.
This plugin is published under the GNU GPL v3 license.
This software is distributed as a plugin to the i2b2 v1.3 & v1.6RC2 webclient framework, and may be used free of charge. It is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
This plugin was created by S. Wayne Chan, Rajani Sadasivam, Thomas Houston, & the Bio-Medical Informatics (BMI) Core Team, University of Massachusetts Medical School, Worcester, MA.
Copyright 2011, 2012 University of Massachusetts Medical School.
This plugin leveraged off the following:
- the general construct / format /style / template used in the i2b2 web client plugin examples by N. Benik & G. Weber.