i2b2 Web Client
Space shortcuts
Space Tools

Versions Compared

Key

• This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

The files and CSS configuration sections are self-explanatory. All filenames listed will be prepended the with the plug-in's base directory to generate the full file access location used by the framework in loading the files.

Note
titleImportant

It is important to note that all version of Microsoft Internet Explorer limit the number of dynamically loaded style sheets to a total of 31 files. The web client framework uses several style sheets and each cell or plug-in may have dynamically loaded style sheets as well.

An important best practice is to only define one CSS file in your plug-in's configuration file.

To use more than one CSS file in your plug-in, create a CSS file to subsequently load your other CSS files using the @import (file.css) command.

The configuration section contains various pieces of information that are used by the Framework. They are explained below:

The first step in the development of any plug-in module is the creation of a user interface. The i2b2 web framework eliminates the complexity of transforming simple HTML screens into an AJAX-based application.
To start, an HTML file must be created and put into the plug-in module's asset directory (/js-i2b2/cells/plugins/examples/ExampHello/assets). For our "Hello World" we will create a file called injected_screens.html and fill it with the following HTML:

<html>
   <body>
   <div id="ExampHello-mainDiv">
      This "Hello World" demonstrates how to register your plugin with the i2b2 Thin-Client framework and display some HTML.
   </div>
   <div>
This       This text will not display because it is outside our targeted div
   </div>
   </body>
</html>

The text which emphasis added is what we want to display in the plug-in viewer's display window when the plug-in is selected and loaded.
The next step is to configure the plug-in (via the cell_config_data.js file) with the correct HTML file and ID for the HTML Element that contains the initial UI display.

plugin: {
isolateHTML    isolateHTML: false,
   html: {
   source: 'injected_screens.html' ,
   mainDivId: 'ExampHello-mainDiv' ,
}
   }

Since our configuration file has defined a CSS file to load we must create that file for the plug-in module to work properly. We will fully utilize the separate CSS file later in this document but will need to create a blank file (/js-i2b2/cells/plugins/ExampHello/assets/vwHello.css) for now.

Tip
titleTip

For more information on the configuration files and in particular the plug-in configuration files please see the document called Web Client Configuration Files.

After saving all files, clearing your browser's cache (just in case) and refreshing the screen, you should see the "Hello World – Simple HTML" plug-in in the "Plugins" list window. When the listing is clicked, it should load the plug-in and display the HTML you created above.