[WEBCLIENT-133] Restrict ability to add Date Constraint if a panel contains any age concepts. Created: 18/Aug/15  Updated: 17/Oct/16  Resolved: 16/Aug/16

Project: i2b2 Web Client
Component/s: Web Client
Affects Version/s: 1.7.06
Fix Version/s: 1.7.08

Type: Improvement Priority: Major
Reporter: Janice Donahoe Assignee: Janice Donahoe
Resolution: Completed Votes: 0
Labels: None
Remaining Estimate: Not Specified
Time Spent: Not Specified
Original Estimate: Not Specified

Affects View/s:
Query Tool
i2b2 Feature/s:
Constraints - Date
i2b2 Sponsored Project/s:
i2b2 Web Client
i2b2 Related Project/s:
SHRINE
Affects Database/s:
All databases
Affects Web Browser/s:
All Web Browsers
Testing Notes: TEST STATUS: Completed
COMPLETION DATE: 08/16/2016

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TEST DATE: 08/09/2016
TESTED BY: Janice Donahoe
BUILD NUMBER: 1.7.08.0001
TEST STATUS: Re-opened

CLIENTS TESTED:
     i2b2 Web Client

ENVIRONMENTS TESTED:
     Browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari
     Databases: Not applicable for this test
     Client OS: Windows and Macintosh

TEST COMMENTS:
Tested with the latest build (1.7.08.0001) and although the date constraint is not being set (saved) for age constraints, there needs to be some type of notification to the user that they can't enter a date constraint.

SCENARIOS TESTED

ISSUES FOUND:

Currently, users are able to select the Date Constraint by either right clicking on the term or clicking on Date located in the panel. The Date constraint window will open and allow them to enter a date. When they click on OK the Date Constraint window will close and as intended the date constraint will not be saved. If users are not aware of this restriction they may think the date constraints are not working.

SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT
If possible, when users try to set a date constraint they receive a warning or informational message that they can't set a date constraint on an age concept.

Message examples:
1. Setting Date Constraint for entire panel.

"Date constraints are not allowed for age related concepts. A date constraint cannot be set on this panel because it contains at least one age related concept."

OR

"Date constraints are not allowed for age related concepts. This panel contains at least one age related concepts, therefore a date constraint can not be set for this panel."

2. Setting date constraint on the age concept in the panel (right clicking)

"Date constraints are not allowed for age related concepts. "

SECOND OPTION:
If the messages are not possible for this release (1.7.08) then at the very least we should disable the OK button. The only button that can be selected is the Cancel button.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

TEST DATE: 08/16/2016
TESTED BY: Janice Donahoe
BUILD NUMBER: 1.7.08.0002
TEST STATUS: Passed

TEST COMMENTS:
Tested with the latest build and now a message appears to the users that a date constraint cannot be added due to the age concept.
Participant/s:

Description   
Currently in the query tool, users are able to add a date constraint to a panel that contains age concept(s). When a date constraint is defined, the query will use the START_DATE in the OBSERVATION_FACT table. Ages that are stored in the PATIENT_DIMENSION will not have a START_DATE and therefore the date constraint is not valid.

General i2b2 users do not know whether or not an age has a start date and if they select a date constraint their query may not return the expected results. This becomes a bigger issue when you are using the i2b2 in a larger network in which some sites may store it in the PATIENT_DIMENSION and others in the OBSERVATION_FACT. This scenario will definitely result in misleading results and the user will be unaware of the discrepancy.

SOLUTION:
The solution is to disable the ability to add a Date Constraint to a panel if one of the concepts in the panel is an age concept.

We also need to evaluate whether or not this should be extended to all demographic data that may be stored in the PATIENT_DIMENSION table instead of the OBSERVATION_FACT table.

Comments   
Comment by Nich [ 02/Dec/15 ]
There is currently no way to determine that a specific concept is an age concept. There was some discussion about using another unused field to flag that the concept is "age", but there is no solution yet.
Comment by Nich [ 07/Dec/15 ]
Date constraints will be blocked in the UI if the panel contains a PATIENT_DIMENSION concept.
Comment by Nich [ 07/Dec/15 ]
"Occurs" will be blocked in the UI if the panel contains a PATIENT_DIMENSION concept, also.
Comment by Nich [ 09/Dec/15 ]
Fix will be deferred to 1.7.08 since Date Constraints will be reworked in web client.
Comment by Janice Donahoe [ 09/Aug/16 ]
Needs additional modifications to alert the user that the date constraint will not be set (saved) due to the age related concept in the panel.

See Testing Notes for more detail.
Comment by Janice Donahoe [ 17/Oct/16 ]
This change was included in version 1.7.08, which was released on 10/07/2016.
Generated at Fri Apr 19 08:01:09 UTC 2024 using Jira 8.20.11#820011-sha1:0629dd8d260e3954ece49053e565d01dabe11609.