mi2b2 aims to facilitate searching, acquiring, and previewing radiological images stored in multiple PACS (Picture Archiving and Communication System) systems. It is an intermediate layer between a user and the PACS, which may be housed across multiple institutions (e.g. hospitals or research institutions) and departments (e.g. radiology, cardiology, or neurology). mi2b2 has a server component that connects to PACS and a client component via which user interacts with the server. In this document, the server component will be referred to as the "mi2b2 server" or the "Star-D server." The interface by which users will search, acquire, and preview the radiological images will be referred to as the "client." This document describes the functionalities and usage scenarios of the client.
Table of Content
All Video Demos
Video requires Flash Player
(video length: 4:39).
Start here to get a quick understanding of how to use the mi2b2 client for its primary tasks. The main tasks are broken down to the different main tabs in the interface. Use the following as a quick guide to navigate this manual.
- Searching for Studies (Tab 1, Tab 2, and Tab 3)
With Medical Record Numbers (MRNs) or Accession Numbers (NAs), users can search, refine, and select the studies that interest them them most. (more)
- Configuring Download Options (Tab 3, Tab 5)
Once a set of studies has been identified, users can request mi2b2 server to acquire them from the connected PACS. These studies will be copied into the mi2b2 server cache, and users can download them onto their own machines. (more)
- Viewing and Managing Studies (Tab 4)
Once the studies have been downloaded onto users' machines, users can use mi2b2's to quickly examine the images. While the image viewer in mi2b2 is not designed for medical diagnostic purposes, it does provide rudimentary image controls, allowing users to decide if the images are what they want. (more)
- Managing Remote Cache (Tab 5)
Users can interact with the cache on a mi2b2 server by deleting unnecessary studies to free up cache space, or download selected studies. (more)
In addition, users may apply sorting and filtering to tabled data and apply encryption.
(video length: 3:08).
A detailed look at Tab 1, Search Patients by MRNs . Learn how to
- Search patients by MRNs.
- Import a text file of MRNs.
- Interpret the search status report.
- Use append and overwrite modes in search.
- Export table data.
(video length: 3:25).
A detailed look at Tab 2 and Tab3, Search Studies by Accession Numbers and Request Studies . Learn how to
- Search patients by accession numbers (ANs).
- Request studies to be retrieved from PACS to the mi2b2 server cache.
- Prioritize requests so some requests are delivered before others.
- Cancel unwanted requests.
- Configure download settings to apply encryption with a previously generated key file.
(video length: 2:07)
This video shows the steps in configuring download settings . Learn how to
- Find and change the default download location.
- Download without encryption.
- Set up encryption using an existing key file.
- Set up encryption by generating a new key file.
- Set up encryption by creating a key using a password.
- Access the dialog to set encryption options.
(video length: 3:39)
A detailed look at Tab 4: Viewing and Managing Studies. Learn how to
- Initiate download from Tab 3.
- Navigate downloaded studies, series, and open images in the Image Navigator.
- Open download folder for a specific series.
- Unload a patient, study, or series.
- Manually load a previously downloaded series or images.
- Iterate over all frames of an image, or all images of a series.
- Adjust contrast and brightness in the Image Viewer.
- Use the zoom controls and the minimap.
(video length: 1:55)
This video demonstrates mi2b2's sorting and filtering features. Learn how to
- Sort table data in ascending, descending, or original order.
- Access the filter controls.
- Use the check box controls and the range slider controls to perform filter.
- Issue complex queries involving multiple columns.